Chocolate Coconut Raspberry Tart


For my mom's recent birthday dinner, I was in charge of dessert for the party. For almost anyone else, this would be a no brainer. I have tons of dessert recipes to choose from. The one problem was WHO my audience was, and in particular the birthday girl. She has tried everything I have made. My parents love to be my guinea pigs and taste testers.  I had to create something new. It was her birthday after all! Many years back I used to make a chocolate raspberry tart that she loved. In no way was this recipe allergen free or heart healthy. What a perfect challenge it would be! Little did I know that it would turn out to be even tastier and easier than the original! This tart is a no-bake, no-sugar added, paleo-friendly dream dessert!  


Tart Crust:
1 cup raw walnuts or almonds
3/4 cup medjool dates, pitted (about 8-10 dates)
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt

Filling:
1 cup + tbsp full fat coconut milk 
8 oz. dark chocolate morsels 
(Enjoy Life Dark Morsels are my favorite allergen free chocolate)

Toppings:
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
2 tbsp. coconut flakes

In a food processor, process the walnuts or almonds along with the salt until fine crumbs are formed. Next, add in your pitted dates, coconut flakes, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Process again for about a minute or until the dough begins to stick together. The crust will be thick and should be just moist enough to press together. 

Press the tart crust into the bottom of an 8 inch round tart pan. Make sure the crust is evenly spread out and firmly pressed down. I like to use the back of my metal measuring cup to accomplish this. Place your tart pan in the freezer while you prepare the filling.


Place your 8 oz. of dark chocolate morsels in a large microwave safe bowl along with 1 tbsp of coconut milk. Heat for 30 seconds at time, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Next, slowing whisk in your cup of coconut milk until smooth. Take your tart pan out of the freezer, and pour your filling mixture over the crust. 


Carefully place your tart on an even surface either in the freezer or in the refrigerator. If you want your tart ready quickly, place in the freezer for at least two hours which will allow time for the filling to thicken and set. You can also place it in the refrigerator for 8 hours (overnight) to accomplish this.  I prefer the freezer method because I am an immediate gratification type of person.

Once the tart has set, you can top it with fresh raspberries and coconut flakes.





Comments

Popular Posts